Skip to main content
DV Banner.png

Victim Resources

Domestic Violence Victims FAQ’s

What is an Ex Parte Order of Protection and how does it work?

A Protection Order is a civil court order that you, the petitioner, request from the court to protect you from your abuser, the respondent. The Protection Order can order an abuser/respondent to stop harming you, stop having contact with you, stop contacting you at your work or school, or at your children’s school or daycare.

Specifically, the Protection Order can:

  • Order the respondent to stop doing violent acts.
  • Order the respondent not to come to your home.
  • Order the respondent to stop contacting you, or harassing you on the street, by mail, on the phone, at school or at work.
  •  Say who your children can live with for now and when the respondent can visit them.

“Do you have to be married, dating, or have children together?”
No. The Protection Order covers a range of different relationships, including:

  • Husband, wife or partner (present or past).
  •  Father or mother of your children.
  • Adults related by blood or marriage.
  • Adults who live together now, or used to live together.
  •  Parents and children, including in-laws and stepfamilies.

Where do I get a protection order?

You can request a temporary Protection Order at your nearest county court house. The temporary Order lasts no more than two weeks. After that, you will return to court and appear before a judge who decides whether or not the court can grant a Full Order of Protection that lasts for a year or longer.

All Orders of Protection MUST be served to the respondent before the Order can be enforced.


Where to obtain an Order of Protection: 

Jackson County Residents
Kansas City
415 East 12th St.

306 West Kansas

Clay County Residents
James S. Rooney Justice Center
11 South Water
Liberty, MO

Cass County Residents
102 East Wall St.
Harrisonville, MO

Platte County Residents
Platte County Government Complex
415 3rd St.
Platte City, MO

Quick Exit