Skip to main content

Update: Super Bowl Parade and Celebration Shootings

Publish Date 02/15/2024
Cropped 148.png

Image of Chief Stacey Graves


As the Super Bowl celebration was winding down at Union Station on Feb. 14, officers at the event responded to gunfire. Since this moment, the Kansas City Missouri Police Department has been investigating this horrific crime.

Today, Feb. 15, we have an update to the investigation:

Preliminary investigative findings show there was no nexus to terrorism or violent extremism. This appeared to be a dispute between several people that ended in gunfire.

A total of 23 people were shot, including Elizabeth Galvan, 43, who died from gunfire. “We are still learning about her, but know that she is beloved by many,” said Chief of Police Stacey Graves. “To her family and friends, we are with you and we are working tirelessly to investigate her murder.”

The 22 other shooting victims range in age between 8 and 47 years old. At least half of the victims are under the age of 16.

As mentioned in a news conference following the shootings, we have two subjects detained and they are juveniles. We are working to determine the involvement of others. We have also recovered several firearms.

Members of the KCPD, KCFD, City officials, federal partners and many others have worked around the clock investigating this incident which remains active. We ask anyone who was in the vicinity of the shooting that directly witnessed the shooting incident, has any video of the shooting, or who was a victim of the shooting and has not yet reported it to police, please call this dedicated line 816-413-3477. You can also upload video and pictures to this FBI form -

“The law enforcement response was exemplary,” said Graves. “Those in attendance also responded, helped one another and even physically stopped a person believed to be involved in the incident. I want to thank the people who acted bravely yesterday alongside law enforcement. Your selfless act did not go unnoticed.  Thank you, Kansas City. I am angered by what occurred in our city yesterday, but I am thankful for the response.”

We are working closely with the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office.