Skip to main content

Criminal Offenses

Bad/Forged Checks

What to Do if You Get a Bad Check?

Jackson County, MO.
Missouri law is very clear on what to do if you receive a bad check. Here is the process and some general ideas of the procedure here in Jackson County:

First, get the check to the Bad Check Unit (BCU). You can bring it in or mail it to us. The Jackson County Bad Check Unit is located at 321 W. Lexington, Suite 100, Independence, Mo., and the phone number is 816-881-4640. They will need the original check, or the substitute check provided by your bank, along with the completed Complaint/Probable Cause Statement. The Bad Check Unit will send a ten-day notice letter to the issuer of the check. This notice is required by law and allows the issuer to bring the money, including administrative and collection fees, to our office within ten days of the postmark date of the letter. Most cases are resolved at this stage. If all fees and restitution are not paid within this ten-day period, the issuer is required to attend an intake session.

At intake, the issuer again is provided an opportunity to pay all restitution and fees. At this stage, the bad check writer will also be required to attend a seminar on how to manage a checking account.

After all attempts to seek payment of the dishonored check fail, then our office may initiate criminal proceedings. Once criminal charges are filed, the bad check writer is given another opportunity to make good on the check. The Bad Check Unit will process and prosecute your check at no cost to you. In fact, the Bad Check Unit will collect a fee, in addition to the face amount of the check, to help you recoup any of the costs you are charged by your bank for the check’s return.

When all else fails, and the issuer fails to make restitution to the victim, the check writer faces felony and/or misdemeanor prosecution. If convicted, the check writer may be placed on supervised probation and required to pay restitution. In some cases, the check writer may have to serve jail time.

Please contact:
Jackson County Prosecuting Attorneys Bad Check Unit
321 W. Lexington, Suite 100
Independence, MO 64050
Phone: 816-881-4640
Fax: 816-881-4526


Clay County, MO.
The Check Division of the Clay County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office was formed to help individuals and merchants in Clay County reduce their bad check losses through prevention and enforcement. The division also enforces Missouri’s bad check laws and collects restitution for victims of bad checks.

To contact the Check Division, email Jim Roberts.
Clay County Bad Check Unit
11 South Water Street
Liberty, Missouri 64068
Phone: 816-736-8310

Criminal Offenses Home Page