City view at night.jpg


Private Officers Licensing
Frequently Asked Questions

Private Officer Licensing FAQs

1. Who is required to have a private security or proprietary private investigator license?
Anyone who is performing such duties as: loss prevention, bank guards, hospital security, proprietary private investigators, airport police (including TCO-unarmed traffic control officers) guards (escort, control crowds and accesses, give directions, watching monitors) and armed couriers.

2. Can private security detain citizens?
Class A licenses when acting on the property they are hired to protect, have limited police powers on the property they are hired to protect, i.e. power of arrest, power to search, power to stop and detain suspicious individuals, etc., HOWEVER, THE AUTHORITY IS LIMITED TO THE PROPERTY THE LICENSEE IS HIRED TO PROTECT during the hours(s)/he is hired to protect and does not extend to the public streets if the pursuit moves to a vehicle.

3. Do all security personnel wear a uniform?
No.  Loss prevention and proprietary private investigators dress in civilian clothes; but all licensed companies' uniforms are on file and approved within POLU. (No uniform will be approved that resembles those worn by KCPD.)

4. Are all private security issued a license card? 
Yes, the license states the company name, which should be the same as the uniform and patch worn and whether or not they are qualified to carry a firearm with the caliber.  All licenses expire annually and each card holder is responsible to maintain a valid license.

5. Private Officers Licensing Unit allows renewing those licensed 3 months ahead of their expiration date outlined on their card.

6. Does the license authorize private security or proprietary private investigators to carry their firearm at all times?
No. The authorized weapon may be carried only when you are working in uniform, only on the premises you are hired to protect, and only when authorized. You should travel directly to and from work by the most direct route and you should lock the unloaded weapon in the trunk or glove box while working not in the capacity of private security/proprietary private investigator and representing the company whose name appears on your license.

7. How many licenses may one hold?
You may hold up to 3 licenses, which are called “Dual licenses.”

8. Is there an exam?
Yes. If you fail, you may have 3 additional opportunities to pass with an additional fee and a form 5409 P.D.

9. Is there a criminal history record check done?

10. What if I lose my license?
If the license is valid, you must file a loss card affidavit with the POLU, a form 5409 P.D., and pay a fee to replace the license.

11. Can anyone check my private security license?
Yes, the licensee must produce the license to any police officer or person that licensee has detained or stopped if the licensee holds a license which allows him/her to stop and detain persons. (Class A License)

12. What are field inspections?
The POLU responds within the boundaries of KCMO and conducts checks on persons working in a security capacity to ensure they are licensed.

13. What is needed to upgrade my license from an unarmed license to an armed license?
A Form 5409 P.D., Form 5715 P.D. with the license upgrade fee and exam.